Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Black Moses


We saw the lightning and that was the guns and then we heard the thunder and that was the big guns; and then we heard the rain falling and that was the blood falling; and when we came to get in the crops, it was dead men that we reaped.

I would fight for my liberty so long as my strength lasted, and if the time came for me to go, the Lord would let them take me.

I looked at my hands, to see if I was the same person now I was free. there was such a glory over everything, the sun came like gold through the trees, and over the fields, and I felt like I was in heaven.

I had reasoned this out in my mind, there was two things I had a right to, liberty and death. If I could not have one, I would have the other, for no man should take me alive.

On my underground railroad I never ran my train off the track. And I never lost a passenger.

I had crossed the line of which I had so long been dreaming. I was free; but there was no one to welcome me to the land of freedom. I was a stranger in a strange land. . . .

Harriet Tubman

No comments: