Sunday, January 29, 2006

Thomas Jefferson


Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.

Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom.

I cannot live without books.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness.

Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.

Power is not alluring to pure minds.

Thomas Jefferson

No comments: